We know that not everyone requires the same treatment to heal or feel better. And, that is why we have added Medical Cannabis License Evaluations as another form of treatment available at our office.
Why We Use Medical Cannabis For Treatment
The primary reason why we have chosen to use Medical Marijuana as a treatment for some of our patients is that it is a natural source which provides relief from incessant pain. That pain that could range from physical to mental to emotional.
Although this could sound like a great advantage to you, you may still be wary of taking this form of medication because of the misconceptions surrounding it.
We are aware that the biggest misconception about Medical Cannabis is that it makes people “high.”
What you may not know is that there are two cannabinoids which are extracted from the marijuana plant to make Medical Cannabis — THC and CBD.
THC is effective for certain things such as reducing nausea and increasing appetite. This could be great for cancer patients, for instance, who have lost their appetite because of nausea caused by chemotherapy. THC has also been found to ease pain, muscle problems, and even inflammation. THC is also the cannabinoid that will make you feel “high.” Here at LLT, however, we have chosen not to offer this type of medication.
Instead, we offer Medical Cannabis with another cannabinoid — CBD. The latter will not make you feel “high.” Having said this, CBD is also very effective to ease certain ailments such as easing physical pain and inflammation, controlling epileptic seizures, and even helping with mental illnesses, depression, and the treatment of addictions.
Medical cannabis is also effective for treating:
- Anxiety – A 2010 study by researchers at Harvard Medical School has shown that small doses of Medical Marijuana have been found to ease anxiety, as the drug acts “as a sedative.” It also helps to ease pain and nausea that are often experienced with severe anxiety.
- Parkinson’s Disease – Research from Israel (Medical Marijuana is legal there for several conditions) has shown that the drug helps in reducing the tremors and the pain caused by Parkinson’s. The drug also “improved fine motor skills among patients.”
- Glaucoma – Medical Marijuana can also help prevent and treat pressure in the eyeball which results in the loss of vision. The National Eye Institute stated how “studies in the early 1970s showed that marijuana, when smoked, lowered intraocular pressure (IOP) in people with normal pressure and those with glaucoma.”
- Epilepsy – A study also showed that Marijuana can help avert epileptic seizures. The study was conducted on epileptic rats where researchers found that the drug stopped the seizures for around 10 hours.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Medical Marijuana has been found to ease the painful symptoms that occur with multiple sclerosis. A study published in a Canadian journal, showed how one researcher gave 30 patients suffering from multiple sclerosis marijuana. After a few days, the patients were in less pain when compared to the other treatments they had taken.
- Weight Loss Caused by Chronic Illness – People who smoke marijuana “are much skinnier than the average person and have a healthier metabolism and reaction to sugar” even though they do eat more calories due to the munchies. A study showed that the body of a person who smokes marijuana has a “healthier response to sugar.”
Of course, this list is merely touching the surface of what Medical Cannabis can do.
Besides these illnesses, marijuana can be used for other ailments, such as depression, PTSD, Chron’s Disease, Insomnia, Lupus, ALS, Fibromyalgia, and more.
What these studies, along with many others, confirm is that Medical Marijuana is more than just a street drug. Rather, it is an alternative and natural form of treatment that can help you feel better when nothing else is working.
As with any other treatment, Medical Marijuana will be prescribed to you, and you will be monitored for the drug to be used safely. Ultimately, what we at LLT want is to see our patients feel better through means that do not cause them even more harm.
To find out if Medical Cannabis could work for you, please schedule an intake appointment with our medical provider. Or, call us at 813-609-6946 or review our Medical Marijuana information page for more details.